The original Welwyn Stores, a large wooden hut on the opposite corner of Parkway, opened in 1921 and was the first shop in the town selling virtually everything. This much grander Welwyn Department Store replaced it in 1939. Since 1983 it has been a branch of the John Lewis Partnership.
Welwyn Stores original building - a section of the light railway track (used to transport building materials around the town) can be seen in the bottom right corner.
The original Welwyn Stores building was extended. It was situated where Rosanne House now stands.Drawing of Welwyn Department Store 1939 building.The new Welwyn Department Store attracted large crowds to its opening on 26th June 1939.