This garden is dedicated to Dick and Celia Reiss, Welwyn Garden City pioneers who devoted much of their time to the development of the town.
Richard Reiss was active in the New Towns Movement at the end of the first world war. Whilst working for a fledgling Garden City company in 1919 Ebenezer Howard rang him about land coming up for auction in Hertfordshire and asked Reiss to get on a train to Hatfield to come and view it.
Richard Reiss and his wife Celia moved to Welwyn Garden City in 1922 and lived in a house at 51 Brockswood Lane.
Richard and his wife Celia set up the Health Association establishing health care in Welwyn Garden City and promoted the New Town Movement both at home and abroad.
Richard who at the time was also Labour MP for Colchester set up a boys club at Peartree in the late 1930's for local children and helped countless refugees fleeing war-torn Europe.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/trillspa/public_html/towntrail.welwyngarden-heritage.org/templates/gk_creativity/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 144