4 - Waitrose - site of the Cherry Tree Restaurant

The first licensed restaurant, the Cherry Tree, opened in 1921, in 4 acres of woodland. A larger public house replaced it in 1932, which was demolished in 1991. The facade was retained for the Waitrose supermarket now occupying the site.

Cherry Tree restaurant original building
Cherry Tree Restaurant - original building in its woodland setting.
The 1932 Cherry Tree building
The Cherry Tree is described in a 1939 publicity booklet produced by the WGC Company as “a very attractive modern public house with extensive gardens, a restaurant and dance hall”.
Cherry Tree viewed from Hunter's Bridge
The Cherry Tree viewed from Hunter's Bridge - photographed by Ken Wright in September 1959.